Saturday, May 1, 2010

MY REVIEW OF "A WILD SHEEP CHASE" AND THE JAPANESE SPIRITS GENRE

My interest in the Japanese culture was not an early one; I came into it through numerous "anime" shows that had been adapted to American viewing, with would include Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, prominently.  Given, neither of these taught me very much about Japanese spirituality, but they did give mne some insight that the Japanese cuture was rooted heavily in the belief that spirites, whether good or bad, still very much existed and could very much impact the lives of the living.

From reading "A Wild Sheep Chase", I was very impressed with the writer's ability to keep the man's identity a mystery despite him being a detective and being the main subject of the story, but thinking it over, his name may not matter as much as we the readers would like it to be, considering the Shinto-like spirits make no aminities to whoever they choose to insteract with (I'm not sure if "haunt" is the right word here).  Furthermore, I liked how the writer gave the one character, the man dressed as the titular sheep, a slur language, as i always found it both amusing and interesting to hear characters speak in such a way that reminded me of the characters in Alice In Wonderland and The Looking Glass.  And actually, this whole book rememded me of those two fantasy books, but "A Wild Sheep Chase" obviously has a darker feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment